Monday, June 13, 2011

Kristen's Menu - Week of June 12

Breakfasts:
Favorite Oatmeal (Never gets old...)
Berry Oat Bars (Excited to try this new recipe.  No strawberries on Kate's half.)
Crepes (I would say I will post this recipe from my Bosch cookbook later, but I know I won't.  So here it is...)
      1/2 c. fresh ground wheat flour
      1/4 c. white flour (always buy unbleached)
      3/4 c. milk
      2 eggs
      1 T. honey
      1 T. olive oil
      dash of cinnamon
Combine in blender and process 1 minute.  Refrigerate about 30 minutes.  Brush skillet with oil and when hot pour about 3 T. batter into pan.  Tilt pan in all directions until batter covers pan in a thin film.  Cook crepe 1 minute.  Turn or flip crepe and cook 30 more seconds on other side.  Stuff with fruit, drizzle with natural syrup, and be in heaven.

Lunches:
Sandwiches (This week it will be almond butter/jelly, chicken or turkey, and tuna.)
BBQ Chicken Wraps (Seriously, so yummy.  I use nitrate-free deli sliced chicken and add a drizzle of healhi{er} ranch with the bbq sauce.)

Dinners:
Pizza (I tried premade wheat pizza dough last time I made pizza and remembered that nothing compares to homemade pizza dough made with fresh ground wheat.  Learning about the amazing benefits of using this type of wheat is one of the most important things you can do for your family's health.  Just substitute it for white flour in any recipe.  And if you need some, just let me know.  I grind every two weeks, thanks to my kind mother-in-law who lets me use her grinder.) 
Lentil Rice with Chicken (I bought this on sale at Sprouts a month ago and decided to try it tonight.   I love having convenient meals around that are still healthy.  I am happy to say that this one was a hit with everyone!  Follow the link and click on the Lentil Pepper Rice Medley recipe on the right of the page.  I reduced the cumin to 1/4 tsp., left out the pepper flakes for the girls, and substituted olive oil for butter.)
Tamale Pie (Another easy meal that everyone likes.  I try to go easy on the cheese and leave out the sugar.  I will be using some of the organic grass-fed ground beef I stocked up on last time Sprouts had it for only $3.99/pound.  It's supposed to be as good for you as salmon, and much cheaper/easier to make too!)

Shopping at Sprouts this week.  Here are my picks...
nitrate-free deli meat chicken (Always go nitrate-free with deli meat, hot dogs, bacon, etc.  Especially for childrenThe new research on nitrates is just plain scary, so try to stay away from them when possible.)
watermelon
strawberries
blueberries
white onion
cucumber
red pepper
green pepper
organic bananas
organic apples
Earth's Best Chicken Nuggets Family Size Bag (Only $3.99 so I am stocking up.  These are the healthiest/yummiest you will find for your little ones.  And maybe for yourself too.)
eggs (omega 3)
fruit juice
milk (always antibiotic/hormone free)
Sprouts brand Mac & Cheese (Always nice to have on hand, these are much healthier than the traditional brand and are only 89 cents a box this week.)
Real maple syrup
Sprouts brand tomato sauce

That's about all for the week!  Kim is coming over to help bake bread tomorrow, yay!  And I absolutely must remember to take my iron and protein this week.  And here is a picture, since I never take the time to post any.  Not that this even looks good at all, but I try to teach Olivia to make a rainbow at each meal and this was her attempt one day for lunch.  Grapes, strawberries, cheese, meat, and lentil chips on a piece of bread.  Yummy.  :)  And speaking of rainbows, I need to post our baking session on Saint Patrick's Day when we made rainbow cupcakes using fruit to create the colors. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE when you post!!! Gives me so many good ideas for food. Olivia's "rainbow" is so cute and such a good idea to make eating healthy FUN for kids! Sorry i couldn't come over and make bread :( Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete