Friday, April 20, 2012

Chewy Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars

 * PUMPKIN *
is truly one of my most favorite things.

Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Bars, Pumpkin Cookies, Pumpkin ANYTHING! I love it all.
So this week I combined my love of pumpkin with my love for homemade granola bars.

I take an apple and a granola bar to work almost everyday for my mid morning snack.  And healthy granola bars aren't cheap. These are the ones I love, if you haven't tried them, please do! You can get them at Sprouts or sometimes at Fry's.




Even though these granola bars are my tried and true favorites, sometimes I go the cheaper route and make  my own.

Chewy Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars
Picture via my Instagram 

Adapted from cleaneatingchelsey
Yield: 8 bars

Ingredients:

2 cups rolled oats, divided
1 tsp. cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup pumpkin puree
6 Tablespoons of Sweetener (I use 2 T. raw honey  2 T. pure maple syrup 2 T. coconut sugar)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used 1/4 c. almonds 1/4 c. pecans)
1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate

Optional:
1/4 c. dried fruit


Directions:

Start by placing 1/2 cup of your oats into a mini food processor or blender. Process until oats have reached a flour-like consistency. In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1-1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup oat flour, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Toss the ingredients until all are well incorporated. In another mixing bowl, combine 1 cup pumpkin puree, 6 Tbsp. sweetener, and 1 tsp. vanilla. Whisk until smooth and add to dry ingredients. Stir until dry ingredients are mixed into the wet ingredients. Then, carefully fold in dark chocolate nibs and chopped nuts. Grease a 9×9 pan and transfer the granola bar mixture into the pan. Using your hands, press the granola mixture into the pan so it is even. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into 8 bars. Wrap individually and store in the fridge. 


Kim's Notes:
Please use whatever sweeteners you prefer but know that the 3 sweeteners I chose to use are LOW GLYCEMIC which doesn't cause such a high spike in blood sugar. You need to use honey or maple syrup because it helps bind the bars together.  Here is what my sweeteners look like so you can find them at the store:


Sprouts or Trader Joes:

Raw Honey Glycemic Index: 30
Normal Honey Glycemic Index: 75 (same as white refined sugar)

 100 % Pure Maple Syrup Glycemic Index: 54


Coconut Sugar Glycemic Index: 35
You can buy this at Fresh & Easy or Online

No comments:

Post a Comment