Monday, August 15, 2011

Goals and Menu

We’ve got some new goals around here.  I was super happy to see that Michelle Obama introduced My Plate this summer to replace the old Food Pyramid.  She is a big health advocate and this is definitely a step in the right direction for our country.  Also, I love using this plate as a visual reminder and am trying to teach this to my children too.

image

Balancing Calories

● Enjoy your food, but eat less.

● Avoid oversized portions.

Foods to Increase

● Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.

● Make at least half your grains whole grains.

● Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.

Foods to Reduce

● Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals ― and choose the foods with lower numbers.

● Drink water instead of sugary drinks. 

To learn more about the government’s new guidelines, go here

 

Anyways, back to my goals.  I haven’t been feeling my best lately, and I have learned of some changes I need to make to get my strength back.

 

1.  Make at least half of my plate fruits & vegetables.  (Hard for me, but I feel so much better when I do and our Bountiful Baskets are definitely helping!)

2.  Eat more protein.  (Especially for breakfast.)

3.  Cut back on sugar and carbohydrates.  (Even organic sugar and whole grain carbs…waaaahhhh.  I am determined to keep all sugars under 25 grams a day, then work down.)

4.  Exercise.  Regularly.  Get stronger.  (Hard for me, again.  Thanks to my super awesome trainer who is getting me motivated!)

 

This inspiring quote is keeping me going as well.  Love it.

image

 

So, what are we eating around here this week?

 

Breakfasts

My Favorite Steel Cut Oats (protein powder added) & Peaches

Eggs and Veggies (Loving this high protein breakfast combo lately.  Thinking of trying this and this.)

Peach French Toast Bake

 

Lunches

Salad, salad, and more salad…

IMG_0937

Seriously, what a great way to get lots of vegetables!  I also discovered that if you involve your children in the entire salad-creating process, they are much more likely to eat it!  This was Olivia’s very first bowl of salad and she was certain that croutons were vegetables! 

 

Dinners

Veggie Spaghetti Dinner 

Our Favorite Pork Enchiladas

Salmon Cilantro Grains Salad (Tanner’s dad gave us some freshly caught wild Alaskan salmon from their recent trip!  I haven’t had the best of luck cooking salmon, so we’ll see how this recipe turns out!)

 

Snacks

Best Granola Ever (My friend Brittany brought me some in a cute bag for my birthday and I’ve been dying to make more.  Recipe and my own pics coming soon.)

image

(Copied cute picture from here.)

 

Smoothies

(We have been on a smoothie kick again around here after a long break from them.  The one pictured below was some frozen mangoes and coconut milk.  Wow.  Our daily concoctions usually consist of… )

- some sort of liquid (almond milk, coconut milk, 100% juice)

- usually some organic plain yogurt or Greek yogurt (I just bought Kefir to try for the first time this week!  Yay for probiotics!)

- frozen fruit (pineapples are a must, berries, peaches, whatever)

- 1 T. flax oil (Read here.)

- 1 scoop fruit & veggie mix (trying to use up this super healthy powder I bought awhile back)

The girls are also having a blast sitting on the counter and choosing what will go into our daily smoothies, then we all get our glasses and enjoy!

IMG_0917

 

Carrot Apple Muffins – I’m off to go make these right now to use up the carrot shavings that were leftover from my juicing this morning.  That is, after I go workout my legs and core…

 

And just one more picture that I took last week.  I can’t even tell you the excitement I had coming home with healthy goodies from my favorite store and getting a new issue of Clean Eating in the mail!!

IMG_0941

No comments:

Post a Comment