Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Skinny Chicken Parmesan

This is one of Jess's favorite dinners that I make.  I love it because the chicken always comes out tender and it is a great Italian alternative to pasta when I'm more in a PROTEIN mood instead of a CARB mood.
I also love that the bread crumbs in this recipe are homemade, as long as you have the few basic spices you should be good to go! 

You can find the original recipe and VIDEO on how to make it


*I always half this recipe and it make enough for 3 adult servings*


Ingredients

  • 4 slices whole-wheat bread (1-ounce each) (I used TJ's gluten free brown rice bread)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 4 teaspoons paprika (I always use less)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup skim milk (I use rice milk or almond milk)
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I've used sorghum, brown rice, and coconut flour... ALL GOOD!)
  • 4 (6 ounce) skinless boneless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness (I like using chicken tenders)
  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • 1 jar good-quality marinara sauce (about 3 1/2 cups) 
  • 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 2 tablespoons (1/2-ounce) shredded Parmesan

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the bread in the bowl of a food processor and process until fine crumbs are formed, about 25 to 30 seconds. Put the crumbs on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, until golden. (You will wind up with about 1 1/3 cups toasted crumbs.)
In a medium bowl, toss the crumbs with oregano, garlic powder, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and milk together. In a third bowl stir together the flour, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Dip each piece of chicken, 1 piece at a time, in flour, shaking off excess, then egg, then bread crumbs, shaking off excess.
Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Place breaded breasts in a glass baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray and spray the tops of the chicken as well.  Bake breasts until cooked though and crumbs are browned, about 15 minutes. Top with marinara sauce, mozzarella and parmesan and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes, until cheese is bubbling.

Kim's Notes:
All of my suggestions are what work for me and may not be what works best for you, I enjoy adapting recipes to make them gluten free and see if the end result tastes different, In this recipe it tastes the same gluten free! 
Also please try this marinara sauce. It is the purest and most homemade tasting sauce I have even tried. Ingredients: Whole tomatoes, tomato puree, Cold pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Onions, Herbs, Garlic, Salt.
Such a beautiful ingredient list... and NO SUGAR! Look at your jar of marinara sauce and check out the sugar content, then make the switch! I believe this sauce is $1.79 for a 28 oz can. And trader joe's incorporates tax into their listed prices. So $1.79 is all you pay for this goodness!!!
Happy Tuesday everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, so are you still doing the gluten-free thing? how is it going? Are you healthier?

    I got my gift card in the mail, thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Afton! Glad you got the gift card! Sorry i was so late at sending it out. I did the gluten free thing for 2 weeks religiously and i think i stressed myself sick! haha because i felt worse not better. But that is also a detox affect that could have been happening which is actually good. So now I do gluten free when i can, I would say about 80% of the time. I definitely feel better on more protein, less carbs. Did you go vegetarian in February?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to view this informative blog. Thanks for the sharing....


    Cleaner in Toronto

    ReplyDelete