Saturday, January 21, 2012

Amazing & Easy Taco Soup

I forget sometimes how much I love soup...
It's a cheap, healthy, quick meal that always provides leftovers.

My soup of choice this week was:

Taco Soup
I used grass fed beef and all organic beans for this soup and the
total cost for this meal was $12 for 10 servings

Ingredients:
3 cans of beans (I used kidney, black, and pinto)
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can corn kernels
1 can of water
1 small can diced green chilies
1/2 diced onion
1 lb. ground beef  (I used 1/2 lb and it was plenty!!!)
1 pkg reduced sodium taco seasoning
1 pkg ranch dressing mix 


Directions:
1. Brown the ground beef and the diced onions in a large soup pot over medium high heat.

2. Open all 3 cans of beans and drain the liquid.  Rinse beans in a colander with water. Add beans to pot.
 ***Canned beans are LOADED with sodium, mostly contained in the liquid.  By draining and rinsing canned beans you DRASTICALLY lower the sodium content of your meal.


3. Add corn, water, and diced green chilies to the pot.  Before adding the stewed tomatoes, I drain the liquid in the pot and then dump the tomatoes on a large cutting board and dice them very small, then add them to the pot. I hate chunky tomatoes in my soup :)

4. Add taco and ranch seasoning packets and stir to combine.  Add extra water to create your desired soup consistency.

5. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to lowest setting and let simmer for 20 minutes.

6. Enjoy with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment