Monday, January 9, 2012

Winner, Waffles, and a Menu

And the winner is…

Afton LeSueur  {e-mail kimberleigh12@gmail.com for your gift card!}

Thanks to those of you who shared your goals with us!  I am still working on getting my resolutions all written down and planned out, so I will try and share those next week.  In the meantime…

Waffles.

Seriously, waffles.  I am dreaming about them as I type this.  My waffle-maker has been broken for years, and my nice mother-in-law bought me a new one for Christmas this year.  I whipped it out Saturday morning and couldn’t even find a waffle recipe in my book since it’s been so long.  After a quick glance at these from Smitten Kitchen, I crafted a modified version in my head and started baking.

Shortly after, my husband’s comment from the couch was, “Are these going to taste like gross healthy waffles?”  As soon as I heard that, I decided to keep one cup of the fluffy white flour in there to make him happy.  They were SO deliciously satisfying.  Please make them soon.  I will be.

Healthi{er} Waffles
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
2 cups flour (1 cup unbleached all purpose, 1 cup fresh ground whole wheat flour)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar (I used xylitol…yummy.)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 3/4 cups buttermilk*
2 tablespoons applesauce                                                                                                            
2 tablespoons butter or oil (coconut oil is my favorite)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter or cooking spray for brushing on waffle pan

Combine the dry ingredients. Mix together the buttermilk and the egg yolks, then stir in the applesauce, oil, and vanilla.

Brush the waffle iron lightly with butter or spray and preheat it. Stir the wet into the dry ingredients. Beat the egg whites with the electric mixer until they hold soft peaks. Stir them gently into the batter.
Ladle some batter onto the waffle iron and bake until the waffle is done.  Serve with peanut butter (all natural, of course) and a splash of real syrup for maximum enjoyment.  These also freeze well and are much better than Eggo waffles when toasted!

* The buttermilk can be substituted with 1 1/4 cups of milk, mixed with two tablespoons white vinegar, left to sit for 10 minutes.

image

Once again, a beautiful borrowed picture from someone else’s waffles.  Mine actually did look just like these golden, crispy, quarter circles.  And Kim, you will be happy to know that these just happen to be GLUTEN-FREE waffles from Honest to Nod and they look amazing.  Please try them asap.  {Kim is awesome and finally started her gluten-free diet last week to see if it helps with some of her issues she has been having.  More to come on that later!  You can do it sis!}

And now for that menu thing I have been not very good at lately.  Here is what I am thinking for dinners this week…

Turkey Lurkey Pot Pie – going to make this with my frozen smoked turkey leftovers that my chef brother-in-law made for us on New Years Eve.

Slow Cooker Jambalaya – have some green peppers from my dad’s garden I want to use and I am feeling like a rice dish.  I will probably make a few adaptations and will report back on how it goes.

Lentil Tostadas – Seriously how cute is this chalkboard ingredient list.  I can’t get enough of it and am looking forward to reading this new organic blog I just found, The Lovely Cupboard.
image

Happy Monday!  Have a wonderful, healthy week!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I won and I didn't even notice!! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete